Saturday, October 12, 2013

inspiration: cold comfort farm

Last Saturday night Harry went to a bachelor party and I stayed home with a bottle of wine, 2 dogs, and Cold Comfort Farm. I wouldn't exactly say it's a cinematic masterpiece, but oh my lord, THE CLOTHES. It's set in the 1930s (which I've decided is my new favorite stylistic era, despite the fact that the clothes aren't as well suited to my frame as those from the '50s-early '60s), and follows sophisticated young Londonite Flora Poste(don't you just love that name?) as she moves in with and attempts to restore harmony to her wild and wacky rural relatives. Whew, what a sentence!

Despite living in the middle of nowhere with a group of people who never seem to bathe, Flora always looks immaculate, even more so in her everyday outfits than fancy party getups. I love the casual hats and slim knits, as well as our heroine's make-do-and-mend attitude.

 
Stills from the film are not that easy to find, so if you're in the mood for more '30s inspiration, I suggest watching the movie instantly on Netflix!

No comments:

Post a Comment